How have we arrived here in this fast-moving and often disorienting place in history. Historian Yuval Noah Harari has some very good and sobering answers he sharing in this rich, engaging and insightful book, Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind. Let’s get together and share what we’ve learned reading this book and perhaps some reviews, like this one from Bill Gates: How did Humans Get Smart?
I highly recommend viewing one of his presentations like his TED Talk: What Explains the Rise of Humans. If you’re inspired as I was please read 21 Lesson for the 21st Century. After all we are now here and what is before us is immense.
His clarity and practicality were very apparent to me from the first pages of his books and his talk. Eventually he noted in his last book he has a long-term and disciplined contemplative practice and it all made sense.
I hope to see you here. It’s informal, friendly and open. — Brant
FYI – THERE ARE SOME LOVELY RESTAURANTS AND VENUES IN DOWNTOWN HILLSBORO A SHORT WALK FROM MY CLASSROOMS. You may want to arrive early to miss traffic or stay late for a nice meal before going home:
- Virundhu, 180 E. Main Street #105, Hillsboro OR 503-372-9628. Outstanding Southern Indian food.
- Insomnia Coffee Company. Open early and late in downtown Hillsboro. Good beverages, pastries, and wifi. Good place to informally hang out
- Syun, 209 NE Lincoln (503 640-3131) superb Japanese
- Pizzario, 337 East Main (503 693-7953) Italian
- Primrose and Tumbleweeds, 248 East Main (503 703-8525) good food, large wine selection and nice atmosphere
- McNally’s Taproom, 370 East Main (503 268-1429) food and brews
- Starbucks at First and Main right near the courthouse a couple of blocks away