DEAR FOLKS; THIS HAS BEEN CANCELLED AND WILL BE RESCHEDULE FOR ANOTHER TERM Kind Regards — Brant
I would like to welcome you to this term’s evening session for licensed clinicians. Please contact me or RSVP to assure there is room.
Thanks! — Brant
In the past few months I have met a number of people with a moderate level of brain injury, TBI. These are all very capable, functional, and well-educated folks though the sudden cognitive changes for them personally as well as the perception and misperceptions of people near them can be very challenging. .
This evening session will be a chance to get to know, learn from, and share practice with a gentleman with professional experience in a mental health field and who has been challenged as a consequence of mTBI; Steve Miller MA, PhD candidate.
Steve has completed a Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction program and can comment on the relevance of such training as well as complementary work in the therapeutic modalities he is familiar with.
Here are some informative links we have recently encountered that may be of interest. Perhaps we will all come with such resources alongside Kate and Steve’s rich experiences and your clinical experiences to share:
- A rich resource organization: Love Your Brain yoga.
- Research paper: Mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR) improves long-term mental fatigue after stroke or traumatic brain injury,
- Research paper: Yoga pilot programme on the quality-of-life of adults with acquired brain injury
- Yoga Medicine organization website: Concussion Recovery: Yoga for the ‘invisible’ Injury.
- Huffington Post; Healing from Traumatic Brain Injury with Yoga
Be our guest on Saturday, August August 10th; 5:30-7pm. For licensed physicians and therapists; MD, PhD, PT, LCSW, PA, LPC, OT, NP, RN & others. RSVP. This special evening is free and a certificate of completion for 2 contact hours of training on request.
- Hear about the personal experiences of two mental health care professionals challenged with mTBI and learning to adapt in direct and rigorous ways.
- Learn something of the medical and therapeutic benefits of yoga and mindfulness practice for TBI.
- There will be experiential contemplative practice with your peers; elements of MBSR training.
- Come in informal, comfortable clothing. Informal and with a changing room if you wish.
An event for licensed physicians and therapists. There is limited space and these sessions tend to fill. Reach out soon if you have interest: 503 640-6006 or Contact Brant
PARKING: There are typically many parking spaces in the parking lot just near the front door of my studio facing Lincoln Street on Saturday afternoon and then street parking many places nearby.
MAKE IT AN EVENING IN DOWNTOWN HILLSBORO IF YOU WISH (Some lovely places nearby)
You may want to make an evening of it in downtown Hillsboro with a friend or dear one. There are many lovely restaurants and places a short stroll from my classrooms:
- Virundhu, 180 E. Main Street #105, Hillsboro OR 503-372-9628. Outstanding Southern Indian food.
- Insomnia Coffee Company. Open early and late in downtown Hillsboro. Good beverages, pastries, and wifi. Good place to informally hang out
- Syun, 209 NE Lincoln (503 640-3131) superb Japanese
- Pizzario, 337 East Main (503 693-7953) Italian
- Primrose and Tumbleweeds, 248 East Main (503 703-8525) good food, large wine selection and nice atmosphere
- McNally’s Taproom, 370 East Main (503 268-1429) food and brews
- Starbucks at First and Main right near the courthouse a couple of blocks away